This is one of the questions we receive a lot via our web care and via social media. Which makes perfect sense! When you’re knitting or crocheting, the last thing you want is to find out that is you don’t have enough yarn mid-project. With these formulas, you'll always know how much yarn you'll need to finish your project!
Step 1: Calculate the surface of your project
To calculate the surface of round objects, you’ll be using the number pi (3.14), the radius and the diameter of your project.
- Are you making a flat project , like a crochet rug? Use this formula: 3.14 x project radius x project radius.
- Are you making a project with depth or with height, like a knitted pouf ? Then don’t forget to calculate the side (circumference x height). You can calculate the circumference with this formula: 3.14 x project diameter.
Step 2: Calculate the bobbins required
Everything’s much simpler from here on out. Now you know the surface of your project, it’s easy to calculate the number of bobbins you need.
1 m2 = about 4 bobbins of Zpagetti 1 m2 = about 5 bobbins of RibbonXL.
So if you’re crafting a rug with a surface of 1,5 m2, you’ll need 6 bobbins of Zpagetti or 7 bobbins of RibbonXL.
Important note! Despite all the formulas, this isn’t an exact science. Make sure to keep this in mind during your calculations. It all depends:
- How loose or tight you work is crucial! Some makers need different amounts of yarn because they knit or crochet looser (or tighter) than average. That’s why we always recommend making a tension swatch first!
- Different stitches use different amounts of yarn. This is another reason we recommend swatching.
- Zpagetti’s thickness varies. This makes it tricky to calculate exactly how many bobbins you need. Zpagetti colours and prints also change from season to season, and once a colourway is sold out, it’s gone for good. That’s why it’s always better to err on the side of caution instead of ordering just enough yarn!
A crochet rug creates a warm feeling in your interior. With Hoooked textile yarn it is easy to crochet a rug or knit a pouf in no time. Crochet rugs and knitted poufs are beautiful in classic or trendy living rooms and feel comfortable on your feet. Are you looking for a super chunky yarn for your next crochet rug? Then you've come to the right place! We have the most beautiful textile yarn and t-shirt yarns available just for you.
Our wide range of crochet patterns and a huge variety of DIY crochet kits for rugs, will inspire you to get started with your next project. Unfortunately, it can be difficult to gauge how many bobbins you will need for these larger creations — especially if you’re adding a personal touch to an existing pattern. That’s why we’ve created this handy guide to make sure you always have enough yarn for your large round knitting and crochet projects! With these tips you will be well on your way to make one of these gorgeous DIY creations!
Already have some chunky yarn just waiting to be turned into a gorgeous DIY rug? Take a look at our page with free patterns. Here you will find a basic pattern for a crochet rug with Zpagetti. We wish you a lot of fun making your own homewares!